Tuesday, July 04, 2000

Germany: Bacharach Journal

Weary, especially after sitting on a bus for five hours, we arrived at our second hotel on this tour. Hotel Kranenturm, efficiently run by Kurt and Fatima Engel, sat next to train tracks with a beautiful view of the Rhine River. I took great pleasure in making Fatima's acquaintance. Like myself, she is filipina - it's good to see a fellow countrywoman.

Keys were handed out to the rooms. The Rooms! You could here the oooohss and aaahhhs of the members as we each rushed from one room to the other. Members were taking pictures of the rooms. I wanted to mention that the stairway was beautifully carved in wood and, though sufficiently strong, seemed quite fragile. The rooms were Fatima's pride and joy! She hand made the beddings, pillows, curtains, etc for all the rooms. As in the Netherlands, I had my own room. The beautiful view through double paned windows and the "interesting" stucco wall design in my room made it unique and special in my memories.

Dinner was prepared for our group at our hotel. Our home cooked meal started with a deliciously warm brocolli soup followed by a hearty entree of beef and cabbage with potatoes. After dinner, group gathered outside for group introductions. Each of us had the chance to introduce our new Buddies. So between trains passing, wine and beer samplings, our group started to get to know one another.

Of course, after a few glasses of strong Reisling, I made a complete fool of myself trying to introduce Dennis. Either I truly didn't remember any significant facts about Dennis or those brain cells previously holding that information were no longer there. I guess I started making up things... people started to laugh. I went with the flow and proudly announced that Dennis invented Liquid Paper, had an internet business...and owned a rather large yacht back home. He lifted his left eyebrow, smiled and slowly nodded in agreement. People got a good laugh... too good, I think.

After group introductions, I took a walk with our group trio: Tina, Tina's mom Cathy and their friend Molly. These gals were no meat, no cheese, no nonsense ladies! We took some sunset pictures by the river then proceeded to stroll the quaint and lovely town of Bacarach. Oh!! All the little paintings, the cute toys and dolls, decorative items and wall art! How we gals all looked forward to the shopping!! (Sorry Rick - you can try to weed out the shoppers, but we're talking genetics here!!)

I hate to admit it, but I personally started "fiending" for a PC.. laptop...an internet cafe. I could feel the emails building up. The weather was still wet, I secretly prayed for a beautiful day tomorrow. I am really having a great time. We went back to our rooms. I turned on the TV and watch Jackie Chan speaking Deutsch. Ah, yes, this is going to be an interesting tour.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home