Saturday, July 01, 2000

Netherlands: Haarlem Journal

My first look at the Netherlands was from above. It was so green, simply beautiful.

The taxi ride from the airport to Haarlem was interesting. I've never seen a Mercedes Mini-Van before. I found myself instantly looking for windmills and saw one or two, The driver and his boss spoke Dutch. Only when I recognized English words, would they look back at me and ask me questions. With the words "San Francisco" came an instant kinship. Imagine that.

My first impressions of Haarlem was that of a charming little city. The colors, the gables, canals and skinny bridges were something out of a Hans Christian Anderson story book. Cute children running about just adds to its charisma. I arrived at the the hotel after about a half-hour ride. All the money I took out at the airport, I handed over to the cab driver.

I was so tired from my hectic schedule in the U.K., I snuck in a little nap. After awhile, I ventured out into the Saturday Grote Market. There were so many little shops and stands selling everything from belgium french fries, baked goods, meats, cheeses, cell phone vendors, clothing and dry goods.

Netherlands folks easily dwarfed a short American Filipino like me. I kept walking around until I mustered up the courage to order a roll of bread, some pate and cheese that looked good... but, until I tasted it, I realized it was stinky - by American standards. So, I held my breath and ate it anyway... it wasn't bad.

I met the group for the first time early that evening. We had a full load. Jeff was our guide with Katy as the assistant guide for our ETBD tour. They seem really cool. Our group was pretty diverse, couples, families and singles. They seem like a fun bunch and can't wait to get know each of them.

After the light supper, the group went on a walking tour of Haarlem. Our guide, Hans, lead us through the streets of Haarlem, pointing out buildings of history interest as well sharing stories of Holland's Santa Klaus.

After the tour, I joined Marge and Karl in a beer. We talked and laughed about the TV shows in our rooms. I though that I had accidentally ordered a spice channel before I found out that the commercials were uncensored. I remember reading about this... but.. It's a bit of a shock..
It doesn't get dark here until after 10:00pm. So strange... This first night was filled with such loud cheers. I didn't realize until the next day that the European Soccer championships were going on. Many people were wearing Holland's national color, orange, in celebration. I decided that tomorrow, I would too.

Unfortunately, Holland lost to Italy that night, but the people still celebrated as if they won.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home